Re: Sequence Number question

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Sequence Number question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Naomi Walker <nwalke@eldocomp.com> writes:
> We are using Postgres 7.3.2 on a Solaris box.
> When I dump a schema with a SEQUENCE in it, it shows the MAXVAL as
> 2,147,483,647.

> Is it possible to set this number higher?

Hmm ... 7.3 does have support for 64-bit sequences, if it was compiled
on a compiler that has a 64-bit integer type.  If you just do

    create sequence s;
    select * from s;

what do you see for max_value?  If it's 2147483647, then you need to get
a better compiler and rebuild Postgres.  If it's 9223372036854775807
then you're good, and what you probably have is a sequence that was
dumped and reloaded from an older version of Postgres that didn't have
64-bit sequence support.  I don't think 7.3 has ALTER SEQUENCE, but you
could drop and recreate the sequence and then manually fix its current
value.

> When we get to maxval, does it wrap?

Not unless you said CYCLE.   Read the CREATE SEQUENCE man page.