Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct  5, 2019 at 12:54:35AM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 06:06:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > For full-cluster TDE with AES-NI-enabled, the performance impact is
> > usually ~4%, so doing anything more granular doesn't seem useful.  See
> > this PGCon presentation with charts:
> >
> >     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXKoo2SNMzk#t=27m50s
> >
> > Having anthing more fine-grained that all-cluster didn't seem worth it.
> > Using per-user keys is useful, but also much harder to implement.
> >

> Not sure I follow. I thought you are asking why Oracle apparently does
> not leverage AES-NI for column-level encryption (at least according to
> the document I linked)? And I don't know why that's the case.

No, I read it as Oracle saying that there isn't much value to per-column
encryption if you have crypto hardware acceleration, because the
all-cluster encryption overhead is so minor.

> FWIW performance is just one (supposed) benefit of column encryption,
> even if all-cluster encryption is just as fast, there might be other
> reasons to support it.

Well, there is per-user/db encryption, but I think that needs to be done
at the SQL level.