Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 06:06:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>On Fri, Oct  4, 2019 at 11:48:19PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>> > Aren't all modern systems going to have hardware crypto acceleration,
>> > i.e., AES-NI CPU extensions.  Does that mean there is no value of
>> > partial encryption on such systems?  Looking at the overhead numbers I
>> > have seen for AES-NI-enabled systems, I believe it.
>> >

>> That's a good question, I don't know the answer. You're right most
>> systems have CPUs with AES-NI these days, and I'm not sure why the
>> column encryption does not leverage that.
>>
>> Maybe it's because column encryption has to encrypt/decrypt much smaller
>> chunks of data, and AES-NI is not efficient for that? I don't know.
>
>For full-cluster TDE with AES-NI-enabled, the performance impact is
>usually ~4%, so doing anything more granular doesn't seem useful.  See
>this PGCon presentation with charts:
>
>    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXKoo2SNMzk#t=27m50s
>
>Having anthing more fine-grained that all-cluster didn't seem worth it.
>Using per-user keys is useful, but also much harder to implement.

Not sure I follow. I thought you are asking why Oracle apparently does
not leverage AES-NI for column-level encryption (at least according to
the document I linked)? And I don't know why that's the case.

FWIW performance is just one (supposed) benefit of column encryption,
even if all-cluster encryption is just as fast, there might be other
reasons to support it.

regards