Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other
Дата
Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Sep-28, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> The CREATE INDEX docs already say:
>
>     In a concurrent index build, the index is actually entered into
>     the system catalogs in one transaction, then two table scans occur in
>     two more transactions.  Before each table scan, the index build must
>     wait for existing transactions that have modified the table to terminate.
>     After the second scan, the index build must wait for any transactions
> --> that have a snapshot (see <xref linkend="mvcc"/>) predating the second
> --> scan to terminate.  Then finally the index can be marked ready for use,
>
> So, having multiple concurrent index scans is just a special case of
> having to "wait for any transactions that have a snapshot", no?  I am
> not sure adding a doc mention of other index builds really is helpful.

I always thought that create index concurrently was prevented from
running concurrently in a table by the ShareUpdateExclusive lock that's
held during the operation.