Re: PostgreSQL License

От Steve Litt
Тема Re: PostgreSQL License
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:20:14 -0500
Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charging for *installing* PostgreSQL is not the same as charging for
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Bottom line: you charge for *services**you provide* not for software
> that other people provide.

That makes a lot of sense. A head gasket costs about $25.00.
*Installing* the head gasket costs well over a thousand. As long as the
customer has the option to install it himself, you're selling your
services.

If you've modified PostgreSQL, as long as you offer the source code to
the customer and say "good luck installing it by yourself",  you can
charge to install it without breaking even the GNU GPL.

My understanding is the PostgreSQL license is more like the MIT
license, which actually allows one to modify the code and claim it as
proprietary.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence