Re: no mailing list hits in google

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: no mailing list hits in google
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Hi,

On 2019-08-29 09:32:35 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Aug-29, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > Maybe Google used to load the pages under /list/ and crawl them for links
> > but just not include the actual pages in the index or something
> >
> > I wonder if we can inject these into Google using a sitemap. I think that
> > should work -- will need some investigation on exactly how to do it, as
> > sitemaps also have individual restrictions on the number of urls per file,
> > and we do have quite a few messages.
> >
> > > Why is that /list/ exclusion there in the first place?
> >
> > Because there are basically infinite number of pages in that space, due to
> > the fact that you can pick an arbitrary point in time to view from.
>
> Maybe we can create a new page that's specifically to be used by
> crawlers, that lists all emails, each only once.  Say (unimaginatively)
> /list_crawlers/2019-08/ containing links to all emails of all public
> lists occurring during August 2019.

Hm. Weren't there occasionally downranking rules for pages that were
clearly aimed just at search engines? Honestly I find the current
navigation with the overlapping content to be not great for humans too,
so I think it might be worthwhile to rather improve the general
navigation and allow robots for /list/.  But if that's too much/not well
specified enough: perhaps we could mark the per-day links as
rel=nofollow, but not the prev/next links when starting at certain
boundaries?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: