Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 08:16:06AM +0200, Antonin Houska wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > > OK,  I am just trying to see why we would not use the
> > > cluster_passphrase_command-like interface to do that.
> >
> > One problem that occurs to me is that PG may need to send some sort of
> > credentials to the KMS. If it runs a separate process to execute the command,
> > it needs to pass those credentials to it. Whether it does so via parameters or
> > environment variables, both can be seen by other users.
>
> Yes, that would be a good reason to use an external library, if we can't
> figure out a clean API like opening a pipe into the command-line tool
> and piping in the secret.

Having to install something additional to make that whole mechanism
happen would also be less than ideal, imv.  That includes even something
as install-X and then configure passphrase_command.  Our experience with
archive_command shows that it really isn't a very good approach, even
when everything can be passed in on a command line.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения