Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 09:43:00AM -0400, Sehrope Sarkuni wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 2:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>     For WAL encryption,  before flushing WAL we encrypt whole 8k WAL page
>     and then write only the encrypted data of the new WAL record using
>     pg_pwrite() rather than write whole encrypted page. So each time we
>     encrypt 8k WAL page we end up with encrypting different data with the
>     same key+nonce but since we don't write to the disk other than space
>     where we actually wrote WAL records it's not a problem. Is that right?
>
> Ah, this is what I was referring to in my previous mail. I'm not familiar with
> how the writes happen yet (reading up...) but, yes, we would need to ensure
> that encrypted data is not written more than once (i.e. no writing of encrypt
> (zero) followed by writing of encrypt(non-zero) at the same spot).

No one replied to this comment, so I will state here that we never write
zeros to the WAL and go back and write something else --- the WAL is
append-only.  We might do that for heap/index pages, but they would get
a new LSN (and hence a new IV) when that happens.