Re: Subject: Re: constrain with MATCH full and NULL values inreferenced table

От stan
Тема Re: Subject: Re: constrain with MATCH full and NULL values inreferenced table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:16:41AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 8/12/19 10:06 AM, stan wrote:
> > Cc: pgsql-general.lists.postgresql.org@panix.com
> > Subject: Re: constrain with MATCH full and NULL values in referenced table
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 06:22:54PM +0200, Francisco Olarte wrote:
> > > Stan:

> > > If you have:
> > >
> > > Table TA (a: PK)
> > > Table TB (b: PK)
> > > Table TAB( a, b,....)  PK(A,B), FK(a ref TA), FK(b ref TB)
> > > Table FOURTH(a,b,...) FK((A,B) ref TAB mach full)
> > >
> > > Note TAB cannot have nulls in A,B as it is the PK.
> > >
> > > And you insert (null, null) in FOURTH it will be treated as in single
> > > column, allowed by the fk ( but you may have non null constraints on
> > > either a or b).
> > > If you try to insert (a1, null) or (null, b1), it will ber rejected,
> > > MATCH FULL does not allow null/non-null mix.
> > >
> > > OTOH, if you use MATCH SIMPLE the partial-null cases will be not
> > > checked at all, as if they where not null. As stated in the docs, you
> > > can use extra single column FK in a and/or b to  get them checked in
> > > TA/TB, and also you can put non-null constraints on either on them.
> > >
> > > The exact combo depends on what you are trying to model, which gives
> > > you what you want. I.e., say I want to:
> > > 1.- check a,b combos.
> > > 2.- Allow (a,null) but have it checked against ta.
> > > 3.- Forbid (null,b)
> > > 4.- Aloow (null, null)
> > > You can use MATCH simple FK(a,b) against TAB for (1,4), single column
> > > FK(a) against TA for(2)  and a check constraint (A is not null OR B is
> > > null , If I'm not confused ) for (3,4).
> > > ( Note you do not have to check b against tb, because if b is present,
> > > a is present, a,b is checked against TAB and TAB.b is checked against
> > > TB ).
> > >
> > > (match simple checks 1 and allows 2,3,4, FK(a) checks 2, and the check
> > > constraint forbids 3)
> > >
> > > The DB deals with nulls in many way, you just have to enumerate your
> > > conditions and elaborate on that.
> > > Note in this case it FAILS to reject an entry if b is null, because I
> > > dessigned it that way, but DOES REJECT if a is null and B is not.
> > >

> > Thank you.
> >
> > Testing seems to verify that I have this correct.
> >
> > I thought I would include what I came up with, so it gets in the archive.
> > Some fields eliminated for clarity.
> >
> > The task_instance table is the one the original question was in reference
> > to.
> >
> > CREATE TABLE employee (
> >      employee_key            integer DEFAULT nextval('employee_key_serial')
> >      PRIMARY KEY ,
> >      id                     varchar(5)  NOT NULL UNIQUE ,
> >      first_name             varchar  NOT NULL,
> > );
> >
> > CREATE TABLE work_type (
> >      work_type_key      integer DEFAULT nextval('work_type_key_serial')
> >      PRIMARY KEY ,
> >      type               smallint UNIQUE ,
> >      descrip            varchar UNIQUE ,
> >      modtime            timestamptz DEFAULT current_timestamp
> [...]

OK, looks like learning time for me, again. Which is alwasy a good thing. My
thought here was that I needed to specify these on the dreivative table
(task_instnce). Are you teaching me that, since these constraints exist on
the tables that rate is derived from, I do not need to specify thmm for the
rate table?

The purpose of those is to verify that the key being inserted already exists
in the parent (eg employee) table.
neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin