Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Tue, Jul  9, 2019 at 09:14:27AM +0100, David Harper wrote:
> > Uh, I believe midnight is always the start of the day.
>
> The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) deprecates the term “midnight” as ambiguous and
recommmendsthe use of 24-hour clock notation:

> ===== BEGIN QUOTE =====
> When someone refers to "midnight tonight" or "midnight last night" the reference of time is obvious. However, if a
date/timeis referred to as "at midnight on Friday, October 20th" the intention could be either midnight the beginning
ofthe day or midnight at the end of the day.

> To avoid ambiguity, specification of an event as occurring on a particular day at 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m. is a good
idea,especially legal documents such as contracts and insurance policies. Another option would be to use 24-hour clock,
usingthe designation of 0000 to refer to midnight at the beginning of a given day (or date) and 2400 to designate the
endof a given day (or date).

> ===== END QUOTE =====
>
> Source:
>
> https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/times-day-faqs
>
> > I think 00:00:00 looks awkward.
>
> Perhaps, but in technical documentation, accuracy should have priority over aesthetics, surely?

Yes, I see what you mean now.  How is this patch, which uses "zero
hour"?

Вложения

От: David Harper
Сообщение: Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]