Re: pg_restore takes more time on creation of rules

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: pg_restore takes more time on creation of rules
Дата
Re: pg_restore takes more time on creation of rules  (Mariel Cherkassky <mariel.cherkassky@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 06:26:49PM +0300, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:
>Hey,
>I'm trying to restore a cluster (9.2) from 3 binary dumps (pg_dump -Fc).
>Each dump contains only one database.
>The sizes :
>A-10GB
>B-20GB
>C-5GB.
>
>For unclear reason the restore of the third database is taking alot of
>time. It isnt stuck but it continues creating db rules. This database has
>more then 400K rules.

What do you mean by "rules"?

>I changed a few postgresql.conf parameters :
>shared_buffers = 2GB
>effective_cache_size = 65GB
>checkpoint_segments =20
>checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
>maintenance_work_mem = 10GB
>checkpoint_timeout=30min
>work_mem=64MB
>autovacuum = off
>full_page_writes=off
>wal_buffers=50MB
>
>my machine has 31 cpu and 130GB of ram.
>
>Any idea why the restore of the two dbs takes about 15 minutes while the
>third db which is the smallest takes more than 1 hour ?  I restore the
>dump with pg_restore with 5 jobs (-j).

Well, presumably the third database has complexity in other places,
possibly spending a lot of time on CPU, while the other databases don't
have such issue.

What would help is a CPU profile, e.g. from perf.

regards