Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> +1. As one of third party PostgreSQL tool developers, I am afraid
>> changing names of PostgreSQL commands would give us lots of pain: for
>> example checking PostgreSQL version to decide to use command "foo" not
>> "pg_foo".
>>
> createdb, dropdb, createuser, dropuser, reindexdb are binaries that
> confuse most newbies. Which tool is theses binaries from? The names
> does not give a hint. How often those confusing name tools are used?
> AFAICS a graphical tool or psql is used to create roles and databases.
> psql -c "stmt" can replace createdb, dropdb, createuser and dropuser.
> What about deprecate them (and remove after a support cycle)?

At least psql, initdb, pg_config, pgbench and pg_ctl for now. But I
don't want to say that renaming other commands would be fine for me
because I would like to take a liberty to extend my tool for my users.

BTW, a strange thing in the whole discussion is, installing those
PostgreSQL commands in /usr/bin is done by packagers, not PostgreSQL
core project itself. The default installation directory has been
/usr/local/pgsql/bin in the source code of PostgreSQL since it was
born, and I love the place. Forcing to install everything into
/usr/bin is distributions' policy, not PostgreSQL core project's as
far as I know. So I wonder why people don't ask the renaming request
to packagers, rather than PostgreSQL core project itself.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan