Re: Adding Column on Huge Table

От Alex Balashov
Тема Re: Adding Column on Huge Table
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
My experience is that adding a column is a rather quick operation even
on quite large tables, _unless_ the column has a default value, in which
case that default value is set for every row. In that case, the time
required for the operation converges with that of a mass-UPDATE.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 09:53:16PM +0100, Andrzej Zawadzki wrote:

> On 19.03.2019 16:56, Moin Akther wrote:
>
>     Dear Experts,
>
>     We want to add a column on table size of 1.5TB, we have to perform this
>     activity with minimal downtime.
>
>     What are the best practises to add a column on huge table ?
>
>     How much time alter statement will take to add column ?
>
>     Any alternate solution other than alter statement to add column ?
>
>     Will adding a new column on a huge table generate huge WAL files ?
>

> No offense, but don't you have any test environment?
>
> Try that or maybe you have so show times.
>

> --
>
> Andrzej Zawadzki

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)

Сообщение: Re: Adding Column on Huge Table
Сообщение: Re: Adding Column on Huge Table