Re: Segfault when restoring -Fd dump on current HEAD

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Segfault when restoring -Fd dump on current HEAD
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-03-04 13:25:40 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > One thing I want to bring up here rather than in the pluggable storage
> > thread is that currently the pg_dump support for access methods deals
> > with table access methods in a manner similar to the way we deal with
> > tablespaces. Instead of specifying the AM on every table creation, we
> > set the default AM when needed.  That makes it easier to adjust dumps.
>
> Hm.  I wonder if it'd make more sense to consider that an access method is
> a property of a tablespace?  That is, all tables in a tablespace have the
> same access method, so you don't need to label tables individually?

I don't think that'd work well. That'd basically necessitate creating
multiple tablespaces just to create a table with a different AM -
creating tablespaces is a superuser only activity that makes backups etc
more complicated. It also doesn't correspond well to pg_class.relam etc.

> > But it does basically require breaking archive compatibility.  I
> > personally am OK with that, but I thought it might be worth discussing.
>
> I don't recall there being huge pushback when we did that in the past,
> so I'm fine with it as long as there's an identifiable feature making
> it necessary.

Cool.

Greetings,

Andres Freund