Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Feb-28, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Hopefully we'll get Tom's patch that addresses the failure-to-truncate
> > issues in pg12.
>
> Hm, are you speaking of the handwaving I did in
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2348.1544474335@sss.pgh.pa.us
> ?
>
> I wasn't really working on that for v12 --- I figured it was way
> too late in the cycle to be starting on such a significant change.

Oh, well, it certainly seems far too late *now*.  However, what about
the idea in
https://postgr.es/m/1255.1544562482@sss.pgh.pa.us
namely that we write out the buffers involved?  That sounds like it
might be backpatchable, and thus it's not too late for it.