Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 02:24:18PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:33:33AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > I don't want to see more users stumbling over the issues with the
> > > exclusive backup interface.  A better interface exists, and has existed
> > > since 9.6.
> >
> > Do you really think we would be having this discussion if the
> > non-exclusive backup method was unequivocally better?  It is better for
> > some use-cases, and impossible for others.
>
> Based on Christophe's comment above, anything which required users to
> make a change on upgrade to their backup system would be cause to have
> this discussion, which likely includes most possible solutions to the
> issues with exclusive backup too, unfortunately..

I am not addressing what Christophe said, but rather what you said.  We
clearly are fine in requiring people to update their software for major
releases.  I think if there was a way for old backup methods to work at
all, this would be a lot simpler converation.

> > Also, you can't say it will have no impact for five years on people who
> > do not upgrade.  The impact will be that they will have no new Postgres
> > features for five years.
>
> I don't think I made the claim that there wouldn't be any impact for
> five years, I said they would continue to have support for five years.
>
> Also, this is exactly what we tell them for any other breaking change
> (such as removal of recovery.conf).
>
> > I am not taking a stance on this issue, but making unclear statements
> > isn't helping the discussion.
>
> It's not my intent to make unclear statements, so I certainly appreicate
> you, and anyone else, pointing out when I do.  I'm happy to clarify.

Good.