Re: CPU costs of random_zipfian in pgbench

От David Fetter
Тема Re: CPU costs of random_zipfian in pgbench
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:02:37PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 2/17/19 6:33 PM, David Fetter wrote:

> >> Maybe we should drop support for parameter values < 1.0, then.  The idea
> >> that pgbench is doing something so expensive as to require caching seems
> >> flat-out insane from here.  That cannot be seen as anything but a foot-gun
> >> for unwary users.  Under what circumstances would an informed user use
> >> that random distribution rather than another far-cheaper-to-compute one?

> >> TBH, I think pgbench is now much too complex; it does not need more
> >> features, especially not ones that need large caveats in the docs.
> >> (What exactly is the point of having zipfian at all?)
> >
> > Taking a statistical perspective, Zipfian distributions violate some
> > assumptions we make by assuming uniform distributions. This matters
> > because Zipf-distributed data sets are quite common in real life.
> >

> I don't think there's any disagreement about the value of non-uniform
> distributions. The question is whether it has to be a zipfian one, when
> the best algorithm we know about is this expensive in some cases? Or
> would an exponential distribution be enough?

I suppose to people who care about the difference between Zipf and
exponential would appreciate having the former around to test.

Whether pgbench should support this is a different question, and it's
sounding a little like the answer to that one is "no."

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!