Re: CPU costs of random_zipfian in pgbench

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: CPU costs of random_zipfian in pgbench
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/17/19 6:33 PM, David Fetter wrote:

>>> If you want skewed but not especially zipfian, use exponential which is
>>> quite cheap. Also zipfian with a > 1.0 parameter does not have to compute
>>> the harmonic number, so it depends in the parameter.
>>
>> Maybe we should drop support for parameter values < 1.0, then.  The idea
>> that pgbench is doing something so expensive as to require caching seems
>> flat-out insane from here.  That cannot be seen as anything but a foot-gun
>> for unwary users.  Under what circumstances would an informed user use
>> that random distribution rather than another far-cheaper-to-compute one?
>>
>>> ... This is why I submitted a pseudo-random permutation
>>> function, which alas does not get much momentum from committers.
>>
>> TBH, I think pgbench is now much too complex; it does not need more
>> features, especially not ones that need large caveats in the docs.
>> (What exactly is the point of having zipfian at all?)
>
> Taking a statistical perspective, Zipfian distributions violate some
> assumptions we make by assuming uniform distributions. This matters
> because Zipf-distributed data sets are quite common in real life.

I don't think there's any disagreement about the value of non-uniform
distributions. The question is whether it has to be a zipfian one, when
the best algorithm we know about is this expensive in some cases? Or
would an exponential distribution be enough?

regards