Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2018-Dec-14, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > That wasn't what was asked and I don't think I see a problem with having
> > concurrently be allowed in the parentheses.  For comparison, it's not
> > like "explain analyze select ..." or "explain buffers select" is
> > terribly good grammatical form.
>
> ... and we don't allow EXPLAIN BUFFERS at all, and if we had had a
> parenthesized option list in EXPLAIN when we invented EXPLAIN ANALYZE, I
> bet we would have *not* made the ANALYZE keyword appear unadorned in
> that command.

I'm not convinced of that- there is value in being able to write full
and useful commands without having to always use parentheses.

> > If you wanted to try to get to a better form for the spelled out
> > sentence, I would think:
> >
> > concurrently reindex table test
> >
> > would probably be the approach to use,
>
> I think this is terrible from a command-completion perspective, and from
> a documentation perspective (Certainly we wouldn't have a manpage about
> the "concurrently" command, for starters).

Right, I agreed that this had other downsides in the email you're
replying to here.  Glad we agree that it's not a good option.

> My vote goes to put the keyword inside of and exclusively in the
> parenthesized option list.

I disagree with the idea of exclusively having concurrently be in the
parentheses.  'explain buffers' is a much less frequently used option
(though that might, in part, be because it's a bit annoying to write out
explain (analyze, buffers) select...; I wonder if we could have a way to
say "if I'm running analyze, I always want buffers"...), but
concurrently reindexing a table (or index..) is going to almost
certainly be extremely common, perhaps even more common than *not*
reindexing concurrently.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения