Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Dec-14, Stephen Frost wrote:

> That wasn't what was asked and I don't think I see a problem with having
> concurrently be allowed in the parentheses.  For comparison, it's not
> like "explain analyze select ..." or "explain buffers select" is
> terribly good grammatical form.

... and we don't allow EXPLAIN BUFFERS at all, and if we had had a
parenthesized option list in EXPLAIN when we invented EXPLAIN ANALYZE, I
bet we would have *not* made the ANALYZE keyword appear unadorned in
that command.

> If you wanted to try to get to a better form for the spelled out
> sentence, I would think:
>
> concurrently reindex table test
>
> would probably be the approach to use,

I think this is terrible from a command-completion perspective, and from
a documentation perspective (Certainly we wouldn't have a manpage about
the "concurrently" command, for starters).

My vote goes to put the keyword inside of and exclusively in the
parenthesized option list.