Re: tab-completion debug print

От David Fetter
Тема Re: tab-completion debug print
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:23:17AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 07:43:52PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> I'm not sure that this should be a run-time option.
>
> > Given the often onerous givens of installing new software on
> > production machines, I'm thinking it actually should be.
>
> What's that have to do with it?  This is a development option,
> not a production option.

There are problems tab completion, e.g. its catalog queries, could
cause in production that would be difficult to simulate elsewhere.

> I don't think it should be in production builds at all, let alone be
> invokable via a simple command-line switch.  The notion that
> ordinary users will want to use it is hogwash --- we'd be much more
> likely to get complaints about psql spewing unexpected output.

With utmost respect, by the time someone is turning on logging for
psql, they're trying to diagnose a problem. If they're lucky, it's a
problem that's happening during development of psql itself and gets
caught during that process. I don't see "if they're lucky" is a
helpful approach to observability.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778