Re: pg_config wrongly marked as not parallel safe?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pg_config wrongly marked as not parallel safe?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-11-26 19:16:00 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> > On 2018-11-26 19:04:46 -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
> > > So the correct answer is probably to mark pg_config() stable, but it
> > > still seems to be parallel safe to me.
> >
> > I don't think we should consider immutability to mean anything across
> > major versions. What'd be helped by doing that? We'd have to rule out
> > any behaviour change to any immutable function for that to make
> > sense. Including making an immutable function not immutable anymore.
>
> Then we have to require that all indexes built with immutable functions
> be rebuilt when someone does a pg_upgrade from one major version to the
> next.

Happened a couple times. The harm from overaggressively removing
immutability, and thus not even being able to add such indexes and
obviously worse query plans, seems much bigger than avoiding the need to
rebuild indexes in some cases.

> Not to mention that the issue at hand isn't a major version upgrade
> anyway, it's a minor version change...

Yea, that obviously makes this different.  Apparently the old versioning
scheme is stuck in my head on a deep enough level...

Greetings,

Andres Freund