Re: Big image tables maintenance

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Big image tables maintenance
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greetings,

* Scott Ribe (scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com) wrote:
> On 09/17/2018 07:38 AM, still Learner wrote:
> > 3. Taking the backup of 20TB data, is big task. Any more feasible solution other than online backup/pg_dump?
>
> That's an argument for keeping the presumably immutable files on the file system. (There are arguments against as
well.)

While I'm not generally against the idea of keeping files on the
filesystem, I'm not sure how that really changes things when it comes to
backup..?  If anything, having the files on the filesystem makes backing
things up much more awkward, since you don't have the transactional
guarantees on the filesystem that you do in the database and if you push
the files out but keep the metadata and indexes in the database then you
have to deal with reconsiling the two, in general and particularly when
performing a backup/restore.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения