Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 11:21:32AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Sep-01, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> > > If -P was forgotten and pg_verify_checksums operates on a large cluster,
> > > the caller can send SIGUSR1 to pg_verify_checksums to turn progress
> > > status reporting on during runtime.
> >
> > Hmmm. I cannot say I like the signal feature much. Would it make sense for
> > the progress to be on by default, and to have a quiet option instead?
>
> Hmm, I recall this technique being used elsewhere and is sometimes
> useful.  Can't remember where though -- by manpages, it's not rsync nor
> pv ...

e2fsck does it. And I think it would be useful for pg_basebackup as
well, but that's for another time.

In any case, pg_basebackup has the same option and it is off by default
as well.  I guess the rationale for not having it on by default for
pg_basebackup is the fact is does not have any other output normally.

pg_verify_checksums writes a report at the end however, but maybe that
one could be demoted to verbose mode now that we have it?

> How about making it a toggle?  Default off, enable-able by option,
> toggleable by signal.

That sounds like a good idea.

> (If you enable it via the signal, what's the rate to report at?)

You mean how often it reports progress (that seems independent of the
signal)? From testing, it's roughly every second or so.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz