Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums
Дата
Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Sep-01, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > If -P was forgotten and pg_verify_checksums operates on a large cluster,
> > the caller can send SIGUSR1 to pg_verify_checksums to turn progress
> > status reporting on during runtime.
>
> Hmmm. I cannot say I like the signal feature much. Would it make sense for
> the progress to be on by default, and to have a quiet option instead?

Hmm, I recall this technique being used elsewhere and is sometimes
useful.  Can't remember where though -- by manpages, it's not rsync nor
pv ...

How about making it a toggle?  Default off, enable-able by option,
toggleable by signal.  (If you enable it via the signal, what's the rate
to report at?)