Re: [HACKERS] Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:24:13 -0700, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote in
<20180731192413.7lr4qbc4qbyoim5y@alap3.anarazel.de>
> On 2018-07-31 15:21:27 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > * Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:

> > > That seems like a bad idea. max_wal_size influences checkpoint
> > > scheduling - there's no good reason to conflate that with retention?
> >
> > I agree that we shouldn't conflate checkpointing and retention.  What I
> > wonder about though is what value will wal_keep_segments have once this
> > new GUC exists..?  I wonder if we could deprecate it...
>
> Don't think that's a good idea. It's entirely conceivable to have a
> wal_keep_segments much lower than max_slot_wal_keep_size.  For some
> throwaway things it can be annoying to have to slots, and if you remove
> wal_keep_segments there's no alternative.

I thought it's to be deprecated for some reason so I'm leaving
wal_keep_segments in '# of segments' even though the new GUC is
in MB. I'm a bit uneasy that the two similar settings are in
different units. Couldn't we turn it into MB taking this
opportunity if we will keep wal_keep_segments, changing its name
to min_wal_keep_size?  max_slot_wal_keep_size could be changed to
just max_wal_keep_size along with it.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Сообщение: Re: New Defects reported by Coverity Scan for PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: New Defects reported by Coverity Scan for PostgreSQL