Re: Forbid referencing columns by names in ALTER INDEX ... SETSTATISTICS

От Yugo Nagata
Тема Re: Forbid referencing columns by names in ALTER INDEX ... SETSTATISTICS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 10:26:13 -0400

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> > According to the syntax in ALTER INDEX doc, a column should be specified by
> > column number as discussed in [1]. However, the current code still allows to
> > use an internal column name like "expr". Is this intentional?
> >
> > Although it is harmless, how about forbiding this undocumented and
> > unuseful behavior. The attached patch does it.
>
> If it's harmless, why prohibit it?

I thought that we should prohibit it because this is not allowed
according to the documented syntax. However, don't we have to be
so rigorous about it?

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp>