Re: PATCH: backtraces for error messages

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: PATCH: backtraces for error messages
Дата
Re: PATCH: backtraces for error messages  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2018-06-20 13:10:57 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > If we instead had a backtrace enabled for all PANICs and some FATALs by
> > default (and perhaps a SIGSEGV handler too), we'd be in a better
> > place. That'd obviously only work when compiled with support for
> > libraries, on platforms where we added support for that. But I think
> > that'd be quite the improvement already.
>
> I think doing it on PANIC would be phenomenal.  SIGSEGV would be great
> if we can make it safe enough, which I'm not sure about, but then I
> suppose we're crashing anyway.

Yea, I think that's pretty much why It'd be ok.

> Instead of making the ERROR behavior conditional on
> log_error_verbosity as Craig has it now, how about doing it whenever
> the error code is ERRCODE_INTERNAL_ERROR?  That's pretty much the
> cases that aren't supposed to happen, so if we see those happening a
> lot, it's either a bug we need to fix or we should supply a better
> error code.  Also, a lot of those messages are duplicated in many
> places and/or occur inside fairly generic functions inside
> lsyscache.c, so the actual error message text tends not to be enough
> to know what happened.

I don't think that's ok. It's perfectly possible to hit
ERRCODE_INTERNAL_ERROR at a high frequency in some situations, and
there's plenty cases that aren't ERRCODE_INTERNAL_ERROR where we'd want
this. E.g. a lot of generic filesystem errors have
errcode_for_file_access(), but are too generic messages to debug.  So I
think we'll just need a separate GUC for things that aren't PANIC and
haven't explicitly opt-ed in.

Greetings,

Andres Freund