Re: Avoiding Tablespace path collision for primary and standby

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Avoiding Tablespace path collision for primary and standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-05-26 10:08:57 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Not sure about the relative-path idea.  Seems like that would create
> a huge temptation to put tablespaces inside the data directory, which
> would force us to deal with that can of worms.

It doesn't seem impossible to normalize the path, and then check for that.

> Also, to the extent that people use tablespaces for what they're
> actually meant to be used for (ie, putting some stuff into a different
> filesystem), I can't see a relative path being helpful.  Admins don't
> go mounting disks at random places in the filesystem tree.

I'm not convinced by that argument. It can certainly make sense to mount
several filesystems relative to a subdirectory. And then there's the
case we're talking about, where you have primary/standby on a single
system. It's not like we'd *force* relative tablespaces...

Greetings,

Andres Freund