Re: Build fails with different versions of clang and LLVM

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Build fails with different versions of clang and LLVM
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-04-23 04:33:04 -0400, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> So, I have LLVM 3.9 installed, but no clang 3.9. Only clang 3.8.

Any specific reason, or just happenstance?

> Googling around, the LLVM bitcode format is supposed to be compatible across
> versions, but I'm not sure I trust that. Perhaps we should check that the
> LLVM and clang versions match? Instead of searching for any 'clang' program
> with PGAC_PATH_PROGS, perhaps we should always use "`lvm-config-3.9
> --bindir`/clang", throwing an error if it doesn't exist.

That'll commonly not exist I think.  I kinda think we should just wait a
bit till we've collected more experience..

> BTW, I'm surprised that llvm-lto is invoked in the "make install" stage. I
> would expect it to be done by plain "make" already, and "make install" would
> just copy the files to the right places.

If you can come up with decent make foo, I'm open to changing that, but
I couldn't come up with something neatly encapsulated...  It's just an
index over the individual files, so it didn't seem that crazy.

Greetings,

Andres Freund