Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Дата
Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Paquier wrote:

> Then, let's consider the beginning of the first commit fest of v12 as
> judgement.  Implementing radix tree for shared buffers is a long-term
> project, which has no guarantee to get merged, while a visibly-simple
> reloptions which helps in some cases...

In the scenario we studied, the truncations were causing periodic
hiccups which were quite severe.  The truncations were completely
useless anyway because the table grew back to the original size daily (a
few dozen GBs I think).  That was a lot of unnecessary work, and under
exclusive lock no less.