Re: polymorphic parameters limits - correct solution?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: polymorphic parameters limits - correct solution?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> I played with introduction of new pair of Polymorphic Parameters - like
> anyXelement and anyXarray. Now, I don't think so enhancing PP is good way
> now. Without significant redesign there are not practical append more code
> there.
>
> Why this is a issue? The extension's authors are not able to specify result
> type without enumeration of all possible function signatures. Similar
> situation is in argument processing - there are workaround based on "any"
> type.

I cannot offer any advice for your "helper" (because I don't really
understand what the helper does), but I am reminded of this old thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20090908161210.GD549%40alvh.no-ip.org

... in which datatype "any" was one of the offered tools, and also from
whence the format() function sprung.  Nice ...