Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
For context: this was first reported in the Barman forum here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pgbarman/3aXWpaKWRFI/weUIZxspDAAJ
They are using Barman for the backups.

Stephen Frost wrote:

> > But at some point in time, slave became corrupt (one of the base
> > files are zero size where it should be 16Mb in size), and IMHO a
> > "red alert" should arise - Slave server shall not even startup at
> > all.
>
> How do you know it should be 16Mb in size...?  That sounds like you're
> describing a WAL file, but you should be archiving your WAL files during
> a backup, not just using whatever is in pg_xlog/pg_wal..

It's not a WAL file -- it's a file backing a table.

> > Since backups are taken from slave server, all backups are also corrupt.
>
> If you aren't following the appropriate process to perform a backup
> then, yes, you're going to end up with corrupt and useless/bad backups.

A few guys went over the backup-taking protocol upthread already.

But anyway the backup tool is a moot point.  The problem doesn't
originate in the backup -- it originates in the standby, from where the
backup is taken.  The file can be seen as size 0 in the standby.
Edson's question is: why wasn't the problem detected in the standby?
It seems a valid question to me, to which we currently we don't have any
good answer.

Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?
Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?