Re: [ADMIN] Bad recovery: no pg_xlog/RECOVERYXLOG

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Bad recovery: no pg_xlog/RECOVERYXLOG
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greetings,

* Marcin Koziej (marcin@cahoots.pl) wrote:
> Now it's fixed, but if anyone needs I'm attaching all scripts to 1)
> backup and restore wal's and 2) backup and restore base backup from
> OpenStack SWIFT

Interesting, but these scripts seem to be seriously lacking in error
checking (what happens if the copy to swift fails..?  or pg_basebackup
fails?) and it's unclear how you can be sure that the WAL file has been
sync'd to disk which is important or you might end up having holes in
your WAL stream if the swift system fails.  There's also no checking to
make sure that the WAL needed for a given pg_basebackup ever actually
made it to the swift system, which is required to ensure you have a
consistent backup.

Generally speaking, these kinds of scripts really aren't a good choice
for doing backups of PG.  I'd strongly suggest you look at one of the
existing tools which are developed specifically for doing backups of PG
and are well tested, supported, and maintained.  If you'd like support
for a new storage system, I know that at least pgBackRest's storage
layer is pluggable and adding a new storage option is pretty straight
forward.

Thanks!

Stephen