Re: [GENERAL] Aquameta 0.1 - Request for reviews, contributors

От Nico Williams
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Aquameta 0.1 - Request for reviews, contributors
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 02:41:09PM -0700, Eric Hanson wrote:
> 2. We need contributors.  Aquameta has eight modules (
> http://aquameta.org/code), each of which could probably be a PostgreSQL
> extension that might be useful outside our stack, and a great place to
> start would be to start to convert them as possible to PostgreSQL
> extensions.  If you're interested in contributing, please join our IRC
> channel at #aquameta on irc.freenode.net.

The meta module immediately got my attention.  I've been wanting that
for years, and wanting to implement something like it.  Recently I've
been making use of DDL event triggers to do a variety of things (e.g.,
an audit module that produces audit history that is amenable to
relational queries), and was thinking of using a combination of event
and regular triggers to build something like this "meta" module.  I'm
glad now I won't have to!

For pub/sub I've got an alternative view materialization mechanism that
produces history, and a tail-f-over-HTTP daemon for publishing
append-only logs.  But also pg_notify() is very useful as well (and I
have a utility for helping on the client side, "pqasyncnotifier").

For a REST interface I swear by PostgREST -- it's written in Haskell, so
it's got that to recommend it, and it's very easy to setup and use.

I also have a schema2json module that produces nice JSON representations
of PG SQL schemas, including parsing COMMENTary as JSON texts (if valid)
and hoisting them safely into the surrounding objects (this part is done
with a shell script that uses jq[0]).  This seems similar to your
semantics module, though I'm using COMMENTs containing JSON while you're
building a proper schema.

You can see some of these things here:

https://github.com/twosigma/postgresql-contrib

Nico