Re: [HACKERS] segment size depending *_wal_size defaults (wasincreasing the default WAL segment size)

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] segment size depending *_wal_size defaults (wasincreasing the default WAL segment size)
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] segment size depending *_wal_size defaults (wasincreasing the default WAL segment size)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-08-30 12:52:26 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Peter Eisentraut
> > On 8/29/17 20:36, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> So the question is whether we want {max,min}_wal_size be sized in
> >> multiples of segment sizes or as a proper byte size.  I'm leaning
> >> towards the latter.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the question is or what its impact would be.
>
> FWIW, I get the question as: do we want the in-memory values of
> min/max_wal_size to be calculated in MB (which is now the case) or
> just bytes. Andres tends for using bytes.

Not quite.  There's essentially two things:

1) Currently the default for {min,max}_wal_size depends on the segment  size. Given that the segment size is about to
beconfigurable, that  seems confusing.

2) Currently wal_segment_size is measured in GUC_UNIT_XBLOCKS, which  requires us to keep two copies of the underlying
variable,one in  XBLOCKS one in bytes. I'd rather just have the byte variant.

Regards,

Andres