Re: [HACKERS] bytea_output output of base64

От David Fetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] bytea_output output of base64
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] bytea_output output of base64  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] bytea_output output of base64  (Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 05:55:37PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 04:08:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > Is there a reason we don't support base64 as a bytea_output output
> > > option, except that no one has implemented it?
> >
> > How about "we already have one too many bytea output formats"?
> > I don't think forcing code to try to support still another one
> > is a great thing ... especially not if it couldn't be reliably
> > distinguished from the hex format.
>
> Is there a reason we chose hex over base64?

Whether there was or not, there's not a compelling reason now to break
people's software.  When people want compression, methods a LOT more
effective than base64 are common.  Gzip, for example.

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!