Re: [ADMIN] PostgreSQL on Docker

От Johannes Truschnigg
Тема Re: [ADMIN] PostgreSQL on Docker
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 11:36:48AM +0530, Dhandapani Shanmugam wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> Please advise running a PostgreSQL transactional database in a Docker
> container is advisable? I am more concerned if there will be any
> performance impact on running heavy loaded transaction on PostgreSQL
> deployed on Docker.

Sure you CAN run an embarassingly stateful system like a RDBMS on a
containerization platform designed to run stateless,
throw-away-and-rebuild-on-a-whim-type services - but the question is, why
would you? What specific problem are you hoping to solve by doing so?

This considered, performance by having Docker (or any other means of
technology that uses Linux namespace- and cgroup-subsystems) in the mix
PROBABLY won't suffer noticeably, UNLESS you get bitten by problems lurking in
the pieces of the puzzle that are storage drivers (AUFS and friends) and
enable container networking, which is not unheard of.

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes@truschnigg.info )

www:   https://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp:  johannes@truschnigg.info

Please do not bother me with HTML-email or attachments. Thank you.

Вложения