Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > * Jim Nasby (Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com) wrote:
> >> As others have mentioned, right now practically no one enables this,
> >> so we've got zero data on how useful it might actually be.
>
> > Uhm, Peter G just said that Heroku enables this on all their databases
> > and have yet to see a false-positive report or an issue with having it
> > enabled.
>
> > That, plus the reports and evidence we've seen in the past couple days,
> > look like a pretty ringing endorsement for having them.
>
> You must have read a different Peter G than I did.  What I read was
>
> >> I don't recall ever seeing a checksum failure on a Heroku Postgres
> >> database,

Not sure how this part of that sentence was missed:

-----
... even though they were enabled as soon as the feature became
available.
-----

Which would seem to me to say "the code's been running for a long time
on a *lot* of systems without throwing a false positive or surfacing a
bug."

Given your up-thread concerns that enabling checksums could lead to
false positives and might surface bugs, that's pretty good indication
that those concerns are unfounded.

In addition, it shows that big hosting providers were anxious to get the
feature and enabled it immediately for their users, while we debate if
it might be useful for *our* users.  I certainly don't believe that
Heroku or Amazon have all the right answers for everything, but I do
think we should consider that they enabled checksums immediately, along
with the other consultants on this thread who have said the same.

Lastly, I've already pointed out that there were 2 cases recently
reported on IRC of corruption on reasonably modern gear, with a third
comment following that up from Merlin.  These notions that corruption
doesn't happen today, or that we would have heard about it if it had,
also look unfounded from my perspective.

Thanks!

Stephen