Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert,

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > If I'm understanding your concern correctly, you're worried about the
> > case of a cold standby where the database is only replaying WAL but not
> > configured to come up as a hot standby and therefore PQping() won't ever
> > succeed?
>
> I think we've changed the defaults to make things better for an
> attended startup and worse for an unattended startup.  But I think
> most PostgreSQL startups are probably unattended.

I don't understand how it's worse for an unattended startup to tell the
init system that the database is now up and running when, in fact, it
isn't.

If that isn't what you meant, then it would be really helpful if you
could explain a bit more what you see as being "worse" with this change
for unattended startup.

Thanks!

Stephen