Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master

От: Andreas Kretschmer
Тема: Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

[PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  (Valerii Valeev, )
 Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  ("David G. Johnston", )
  Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  (Valerii Valeev, )
   Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  (ProPAAS DBA, )
   Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  ("David G. Johnston", )
    Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  (Valerii Valeev, )
 Re: [PERFORM] why we do not create indexes on master  (Andreas Kretschmer, )

Valerii Valeev <> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> can anyone please explain, why we do not create indexes on master?
> In my case master / child design blindly follows partitioning guide https://
> www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ddl-partitioning.html.
> My collaborator was unhappy with performance of queries over master table with
> filtering by one of fields
>
> SELECT * FROM “master" WHERE “field" BETWEEN x AND y
>
> (there are indexes for “field” on child tables).
> He has created index on master once and found that the query returns 100x
> faster.

please show us explain analyse with/without index on master.

Regards, Andreas Kretschmer
--
Andreas Kretschmer
http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/