Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm concerned some new users may not understand this behavior of pg_ctl, so
> > I wanted to suggest that we add some additional messaging after "server
> > starting" - something like:
>
> > $ pg_ctl -D datadir -l logfile start
> > server starting
> > (to wait for confirmation that server actually started, try pg_ctl again
> > with --wait)
>
> That seems annoyingly verbose and nanny-ish.  Perhaps we could get the
> point across like this:
>
> $ pg_ctl -D datadir -l logfile start
> requested server to start

+1, but also +1 to making --wait the default.  Extra points if systemd
start scripts are broken by the change ;-)

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without --wait
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait