Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor

От Steve Litt
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 17:08:41 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> > GUI's only get you so far. At some point you will need to dive
> > deeper to get what you. I am mostly a self taught
> > programmer(biologist by training) so I understand the hill you are
> > facing. The language I use is Python, mainly because to me it made
> > sense. For you it might be a good choice as it is quite prevalent
> > in the data analysis world. There are a lot of places to turn to to
> > learn how to use it. My suggestion for seeing if it is something
> > you can use would be to start here:
>
> +1 for Python
>
> > Go through at least the Introduction to Python part. The rest has
> > to do with Django, Web framework built using Python.
>
>    Mike Driscoll has a blog (I don't recall the URL) and his Python
> 101 is a very good introduction. There are also a lot of online
> tutorials.
>
>    I would suggest starting by learning a general programming language
> (specifically Python). That puts you in a learnable mindset.

I absolutely concur that Python's a great starting point. It's easy, it
puts you in a learnable mindset, there are many directions you can
follow once you know Python, and Python knowledge might even get you a
job.

> SQL is a
> set-oriented language and is quite different from procedural, object
> oriented, and functional languages.

I think she could learn SQL concurrently with Python, as long as she
completely understands that they don't do anything the same way as each
other, and they're not even for the same purpose.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz