Re: "Strong sides of MySQL" talk from PgDay16Russia, translated

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: "Strong sides of MySQL" talk from PgDay16Russia, translated
Дата
Re: "Strong sides of MySQL" talk from PgDay16Russia, translated  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Following Uber's case discussion, I found this talk by Alexey Kopytov to be
> really interesting:
>   http://kaamos.me/talks/pgday16/strongmysql/strongmysql.html (online html,
> in Russian)
>
> I translated it to English:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6a15s66jxg50tg/mysqlstrong_pgday16russia.pdf?dl=0
> (pdf)
>
> The slides deck contains a lot of details. The author claims that during
> recent years, MySQL made a lot of progress in defending and advancing its
> position as a "most popular database for the web", he provides detailed
> reasoning for that, and then concludes that PostgreSQL will need years and
> maybe even decades to close gaps in the certain fields which are very
> sensitive for large companies:
>  - replication
>  - storage engines / compression / direct IO / etc
>  - partitioning,
> etc.
>
> Of course this information is biased (Alexey works at Percona) but IMO it's
> much more detailed, qualitative and useful analysis compared to the Uber's
> recent article.

Great translation.

BTW, is there any opposite information, i.e. showing the limitation of
MySQL comparing with PostgreSQL? I'm not familiar with MySQL, but
occasionally hearing surprising (as a PostgreSQL user) limitation of
MySQL and wondering if there's any summary of the info.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan