Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  (Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We should support scan_all only with the new-style options syntax for
> > VACUUM; that is, vacuum (scan_all) rename.  That doesn't require
> > making scan_all a keyword, which is good: this is a minor feature, and
> > we don't want to bloat the parsing tables for it.
>
> I agree with having new-style options syntax.
> Isn't it better to have SCAN_ALL option without parentheses?
>
> Syntaxes are;
> VACUUM SCAN_ALL table_name;
> VACUUM SCAN_ALL;  -- for all tables on database

No, I agree with Robert that we shouldn't add any more such options to
avoid keyword proliferation.
Syntaxes are;VACUUM (SCAN_ALL) table_name;VACUUM (SCAN_ALL);  -- for all tables on database

Is SCAN_ALL really the best we can do here?  The business of having an
underscore in an option name has no precedent (other than
CURRENT_DATABASE and the like).  How about COMPLETE, TOTAL, or WHOLE?