Re: Big number of connections

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Big number of connections
Дата
Re: Big number of connections  (Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>)
Список pgsql-performance
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 03/31/2016 03:12 PM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> > >    We are going to build system based on PostgreSQL database for huge number of individual users (few thousands).
Eachuser will have his own account, for authorization we will use Kerberos (MIT or Windows).
> > >Most of users will have low activity, but for various reasons, connection should be open all the time.
> > >I'd like to know what potential problems and limitations we can expect with such deployment.
> > >    During preliminary testing we have found that for each connection we need ~1MB RAM. Is there any way to
decreasethis ? Is there any risk, that such number of users will degrade performance ?
> > >    I'll be happy to hear any remarks and suggestions related to design, administration and handling of such
installation.

> >Take a look at PgBouncer.
> >It should solve your problems.
>
> If they are going to keep the client connections open, they would need to
> run pgbouncer in statement or transaction mode.

As I understand, in pgbouncer you cannot have connections that serve
different users.  If each individual requires its own database-level
user, pgbouncer would not help at all.

I would look seriously into getting rid of the always-open requirement
for connections.

Сообщение: Re: Big number of connections
Сообщение: Re: Big number of connections