Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO

От: Alvaro Herrera
Тема: Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

autovacuum disk IO  (Artem Tomyuk, )
 Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Pavel Stehule, )
 Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Moreno Andreo, )
    Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Scott Marlowe, )
     Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Alvaro Herrera, )
      Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO  (Moreno Andreo, )
 Re: [ADMIN] autovacuum disk IO  (Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais, )

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Moreno Andreo <> wrote:

> > ... or maybe add some more RAM to have more disk caching (if you're on
> > *nix).... this worked for me in the past... even if IMHO it's more a
> > temporary "patch" while upgrading (if it can't be done in a hurry) than a
> > real solution...
>
> Oh yeah, definitely worth looking at. But RAM can't speed up writes,
> just reads, so it's very workload dependent. If you're IO subsystem is
> maxing out on writes, faster drives / IO. If it's maxing out on reads,
> more memory. But if your dataset is much bigger than memory (say 64GB
> RAM and a 1TB data store) then more RAM isn't going to be the answer.

In the particular case of autovacuum, it may be helpful to create a
"ramdisk" and put the stats temp file in it.