Re: Figures in docs

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: Figures in docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:17 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> It seems there's no figures/diagrams in our docs. I vaguely recall that
>> we used to have a few diagrams in our docs. If so, was there any
>> technical reason to remove them?
>>

> I don't know the reason, but it's shame, we are still in sgml !
>
> We already do our translations (as others) in xml using custom scripting.
> xml provides us better integration with available tools and ability to
> insert graphics. Last time we asked in -docs about moving to xml and
> Alexander demonstrated acceptable speed of xml build, but there were no
> reply from Peter, who is (?) responsible for our documentation
> infrastructure. Probably, we should just created a patch and submit to
> commitfest.  You can check this thread
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1428009501118.85114@postgrespro.ru

Well, there are some PostgreSQL doc translation projects are running
including translation for Japanese, which I am working on.

If we are going to change the manual format and/or the build system, I
need to confirm it does work for Japanese as well. In theory because
the Japanese translation project uses UTF-8, there should be no
problem as far as the whole build system works for UTF-8. But I want
to confirm first...

BTW, are you going to propose a mega patch which changes all the sgml
files to xml files?

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii