Re: BUG #12300: ~/.psql_history nonexistent warning on first run

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #12300: ~/.psql_history nonexistent warning on first run
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
dlazerka@gmail.com writes:
> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.5
> Operating system:   Linux Mint x64 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu

> 1. Either install fresh PostgreSQL on fresh OS, or just delete
> `~/.psql_history`.
> 2. Run `~ $ psql` (assuming that permissions are already set up for your
> user).
> 3. type any command;
> 4. Press Ctrl-D, or type "\q".

> OBSERVED: warning
> could not save history to file "/home/myuser/.psql_history": No such file or
> directory

Which readline/history library are you using --- GNU readline, or libedit?
And what version exactly?

FWIW, I do not see this behavior with readline 6.0 on my RHEL6 machine,
nor with the libedit that Apple is shipping in Yosemite (seems to be a
patched copy of libedit 3.0). It wouldn't surprise me a whole lot if it
happens with some other versions of libedit.  There isn't a lot we can do
if it's libedit's fault; that library is enough of a mess, and enough of a
moving target, that we have to be satisfied if it works at all, never mind
cosmetic issues.