Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

> The buffer replacement algorithm for clog is rather stupid - I do wonder
> where the cutoff is that it hurts.
>
> Could you perhaps try to create a testcase where xids are accessed that
> are so far apart on average that they're unlikely to be in memory? And
> then test that across a number of client counts?
>
> There's two reasons that I'd like to see that: First I'd like to avoid
> regression, second I'd like to avoid having to bump the maximum number
> of buffers by small buffers after every hardware generation...

I wonder if it would make sense to explore an idea that has been floated
for years now -- to have pg_clog pages be allocated as part of shared
buffers rather than have their own separate pool.  That way, no separate
hardcoded allocation limit is needed.  It's probably pretty tricky to
implement, though :-(